( Real News) Implications for some top government officials might be leading to
the Ray John case being thrown out of court, since the Office of the
Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) appears to be stalling.
On Tuesday, November 14, court sources reported to REAL News
that the case involving John and his girlfriend Shekema Charles has
been adjourned yet again.
While the High Court judge was ready to commence with the matter,
Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Shannon Gittens is said to
have requested another adjournment.
Justice Tunde Ademola Bakre apparently was satisfied with the
DPP’s request and sought to have the case commence in December
2023, instead. However, the prosecution requested a longer
It was ultimately agreed that the case will commence in December,
but for the purpose of dealing with case-management issues.
Following that, it will be further adjourned until sometime in
Attorney Hugh Marshall Jr. is representing John and his co-accused,
The suspended police officer is facing three charges of conspiracy,
larceny and receiving, while Charles is jointly charged for
The case against John’s mother, Yvonne Nikkie, who was jointly
charged with the pair for conspiracy, was dismissed last year.
Source say that Nikkie’s involvement in the matter was integral;
therefore, they are wondering how the case against the disgraced
officer will proceed without her.
Meanwhile, other insiders note that a magistrate had decided there
was sufficient evidence for John to be tried in the High Court.
Therefore, they are asking why the trial is being further delayed
when, reportedly, “there is irrefutable evidence in the case to which
the accused can be linked.”
However, the sources also tell REAL News, this matter – like the
infamous and deadly Customs-fraud case – might involve prominent
persons who would not wish to be named.
It is alleged that a particular government official had inquired into
having the case thrown out – after being advised that an outside
prosecutor should be engaged to handle the trial.
During their arraignment in the High Court on Tuesday July 6, 2021,
John and Charles had pleaded not guilty to charges related to the
forgery of Antigua and Barbuda passports.
They had been committed to stand trial in the High Court since
November 6, 2019, with the arraignment set for the 2020 January
Assizes. However, the COVID-19 pandemic then delayed the matter
The two had been charged in relation to a scheme that involved the
creation of Antigua and Barbuda passports in St. Vincent, John’s
country of birth. The matter was unearthed by police officers there
The alleged offences are said to have occurred between October 1,
2014 and April 6, 2018.