A 16-year-old Manchester schoolgirl, who was reported missing, has been charged with creating public mischief after she fabricated being kidnapped and a ransom of $200,000 made last week to cover up her out-of-parish trip to visit her boyfriend, police say.
Territorial officer for Manchester Deputy Superintendent Collin Johnson, in addressing a domestic violence panel discussion on Wednesday evening at the Mandeville Baptist Church, said the teen was charged last Thursday after being located and interviewed by the police.
“She actually went to a prominent school in Mandeville and then left to visit her [boyfriend] in another parish and she overstayed her time. She made some calls to indicate that she was kidnapped and a ransom was demanded. Based on our investigation we found her in a community in Greenvale. She gave a statement and she was also charged with creating public mischief,” said DSP Johnson.
OBSERVER ONLINE was told that the teen was reported missing on Monday, June 19. Two days later the police found the teen at the house in Greenvale.
The incident had stirred rumours of a kidnapping crime ring in Manchester.
“The police just got some information as to a possible location where she would be and went there and she was found. She wasn’t found in the company of any other teenage girls or anything of the sort. She was interviewed, medically examined and reunited with her parents,” said a police source last week.