(T&TGUARDIAN)Senior Political Reporter
All the students living in flood-hit areas of south Trinidad scheduled to sit CXC examinations on Monday were not able to make it to an examination centre and principals have been asked to submit information on such students to the Education Ministry, which will then make representation to CXC for compassionate consideration on behalf of those students.
Minister in the Education Ministry Lisa Morris-Julian gave this information in the Senate yesterday, following a query from UNC Senator Wade Mark about widespread flooding in the Barrackpore and Moruga communities which caused some students to miss their CSEC and CAPE exams.
Mark wanted to know what measures were being taken to ensure the students are not disadvantaged.
Morris-Julian said, “In light of the inclement weather experienced on Monday, 12th June, 2023, and the flooding which ensued, the Ministry of Education made arrangements to facilitate students who had difficulty getting to their centres to sit the CXC examination. These matters were handled on a school-by-school, and in some cases, a student-by-student basis, as the need arose.
“However, despite their best efforts, all students scheduled to sit CXC examinations yesterday (Monday) were not able to make it to an examination centre.”
The ministry also made arrangements for students affected by the inclement weather to write the exams at centres not affected by flooding.
Morris-Julian noted, “The Caribbean Examination Council (CXC) does not schedule make-up examinations, so in cases like these, which have occurred previously, the ministry collects verified, student-specific data from schools, and makes representation to CXC for compassionate consideration on behalf of the students who were not able to sit their examinations. This has resulted, in previous years, in a pro-rated examination grade, based on their performance in the examination papers they would have been able to sit, and their SBA grade.”
Morris-Julian said principals were asked to send in the information relating to the students who missed examinations due to flooding on Monday.
“This is presently being received and collated by the ministry for our submission to CXC. Parents of students so affected are advised to liaise with school principals to ensure that their children are on the list that is submitted to CXC and the ministry,” she said.
On other questions from Independent Senator Dr Paul Richards, the Minister also said the Cabinet-appointed committee had completed its review of the changes to the conduct of the SEA and transition to secondary school and the Concordat.
On February 8, 2022, the former Leader of Government Business in the Senate had advised that the committee established to further review and recommend changes to these matters was scheduled to report to Cabinet in August 2022.
Morris-Julien, giving an update, said the committee’s report is currently before the Cabinet for its consideration and review.
“The decision of the Cabinet will be made public in due course,” Morris-Julian said.
She said the report will be made public once Cabinet completes its deliberations, but she couldn’t give a deadline on such a “weighty” matter.
“But it’s receiving Cabinet’s attention and will be available in due course,” she added.