International singer and rapper Drake created a furore after social media postings showed him hours after landing in Barbados on Sunday moving around without a mask, one of the strict requirements in the COVID-19 protocols.
But in response to questions on the call-in programmes and social media, Minister of Health Jeffrey Bostic said that no special treatment had been given to the Canadian star.
“There are no special requirements for Drake or any international figures. All persons travelling into Barbados are subject to the same protocols that are in place to facilitate the return of domestic flights,” Bostic told the DAILY NATION yesterday.
Drake became the focus of Barbadians, who wanted to know why the celebrity was not observing one of the firm measures on the list of protocols from the Ministry of Health as part of the COVID-19 fight. Some claimed that because of his international status he might have been given clearance on the masks and physical distancing after the photographs of him in the popular St Lawrence Gap, Christ Church, showed him posing bunched in a group.