Clive Lloyd warns it’s ‘now or never’ for the West Indies’ World Cup hopes

Clive Lloyd believes it is “now or never” for the West Indies when they try to get their World Cup campaign back on track against Bangladesh.

Friday’s comprehensive eight-wicket defeat by tournament hosts and favourites England left the West Indies with three points from four matches in the 10-team round-robin group phase.

With the top four qualifying for the semi-finals, the Caribbean side now have a job on their hands to displace one of New Zealand, champions Australia, India and England.

Lloyd, the captain of the West Indies side that won the first two World Cups in 1975 and 1979, said Jason Holder’s men would “need to win nearly every group game from here on in if they are to have a chance of making the semi-finals” — starting with Monday’s match against Bangladesh in Taunton.

The West Indies were dismissed for just 212 by England at Southampton, with Lloyd, in an ICC column, labelling it “their worst batting display of the tournament so far”.

They slumped to 55 for three before Nicholas Pooran, who made 63, and Shimron Hetmyer (39) shared a fourth-wicket stand of 89.

“Pooran in particular has really impressed me so far this tournament, but we shouldn’t be asking two young guys to do it all,” Lloyd said.

Share